Thursday, October 1, 2009

Elizabeth Smart

I will never forget that day. She was taken from her home and all of Salt Lake City was horrified. They looked and looked for her. For months. I remember also the day they found her. I remember seeing the police car in Sandy, UT across the street from where I had stopped for lunch. I remember thinking something was peculiar about it. Later that night, on the news, that same police car, same street, same people were on the news and she had been found...Alive. I cried and laughed and felt so much relief at her safe return.
She testified against her captor and shared her horrifying story. It was the worst case scenario for that young girl, for her parents, for anyone really. But that young girl is now 21, and about to leave on a mission for the Church. For her faith that sustained her. That beautiful girl, with so many reasons to stay close to home, to be afraid...is going to Paris on a mission. I don't know why but it made me so proud of her and of her family to read that. I am proud to be a Latter-day Saint. I am proud to be among some amazing women, some crazies too, but that's to be expected right? (we call it colorful at our house though) I don't have it all figured out, but I know that I am happy here.
So, to Elizabeth, I am sorry that you had to relive those horrible memories, but I am so very proud of you.

1 comment: