Friday, November 13, 2009

Gratitude, anyone?

It is hard to believe that it is November, and more than that, that the Holidays are descending all around us and I am not caught up from getting the kids back to school.  (13 weeks ago!)  Christmas carols are wafting through the superstores.  Some neighbors even have their Christmas lights up.  Yes.  They really do.  It is Friday, November 13th and I have not paused for one second to allow the holidays to start in our home.  Thanksgiving is a wonderful time for me.  Last year, as you may recall, I wanted to be grateful daily.  I feel a need to catch up a little as I have missed the first two weeks of this wonderful season.  I hope that you are enjoying your November so far and feel free to join in on the next two weeks of grateful moments.  Share them here if you like, the more the merrier.

Well, given that this week marked the 15th year since Larry and I got married (the first time), it seems appropriate to start there.  Wow.  What a ride this has been, truly the stuff of mini-series drama on late night television.  We have seen bad days, and I can tell you that it was worth every one of them.  I am grateful to have this man.  We have accepted each others flaws, which is something I have learned to be truly grateful for.  Finding someone who loves you not just in spite of your flaws, but also because of some of them is an amazing thing.  We get married and have such hope, and dreams and sprinklings of delusion...and trust me,  I am good with my delusions of grandeur.  And then Life happens.  And happens, and happens, and happens.  Sometimes we are strengthened by them, and sometimes we crumble.  Larry and I have crumbled many, many times.  Self-inflicted devastation.  But, we rebuild.  And we have.  I love this man so very much and it is strange to me that we have come to this place as I never, ever thought it could happen this way for me...and this man, this particular man.  We laugh at how different we are.  And we are.  In those differences we have found a way to genuinely love each other and support each other.  I am grateful for his work ethic and the way that he loves our family. These children are all so lucky to have him.  I can tell you that it took us a lot of growing up, and yet we are still so immature really.  All in all, I am just so grateful to be in this place, with this man, and our family, and our home, and the good and the bad that comes from raising a family in a time that is increasingly more difficult.  Despite our differences, we are one and I love him and miss him more than I can say.

What are you grateful for today?  What makes you so happy that your heart kind of aches to think about it?  You know exactly what I mean...

1 comment:

  1. I'm grateful for Larry too..... Did you hear that Larry... I'm grateful for you! So much so, that I think you should completely forget that I licked every single utensil in your kitchen drawer. Yup, I think you should.... but only because I am just so grateful for you!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete