Sunday, December 21, 2008

How many days left!!!

I am actually a little sad to see Christmas sneaking up so quickly.  I am, of course, thrilled for the break from school and the impending visits from distant family members.  For me; however, this has been a particularly sweet Holiday season.  We have enjoyed every day with one memory making moment or another.  Some have been big and some have been ever so small.  I am grateful for all of it though.  

I made Grander's Famous Lemon Pound Cake tonight.  It's funny because it was so very easy and it is as delicious and surprising as it could be.  It was also a very sweet reminder of her.  I remember her.  She died when I was young, 7 or 8, but I can remember her.  I wish that my children could have known her.  I think they would have gotten a real kick out of her.  You know, Mom had her grandmother and her granny, who I remember as well by the way, for many years.  I envy that, though I am sure that Mom wishes the same.  Life would have been much different had she lived.  I doubt that the moves would have ever happened.  I am, oddly, grateful for the moves though.  So, I suppose it was all as it should have been.  But still.  It is nice to remember her and tell the kids about her as I make this cake and show them pictures.  I will make this cake every year now.  I will pull out the treasured Advent calendar and the stories and the pictures and share the magic of years and years of love, especially at Christmas.  If I haven't said it until now, Mom...thank you for this incredible gift.  It is something that I will always treasure.

This next week will be busy and full of laughter and probably some tears.  It will be surrounded by family and, if you live here, some pretty beautiful warm weather.  The kids would really like it to snow just one day, but we are all pretty grateful for the 70 degree Christmas day that is in the forecast.  I would suggest that we try to remember the sweetness that has thus far attended this holiday and pay particular attention to keeping the celebration about a sweet baby that was given to the world, a Savior.  I am grateful for that day so long ago and for all of the blessings that have been a part of our lives as a result of the knowledge that He is my Redeemer.  Here is to the beginning of a wonderful Christmas week.  I hope that it finds you all happy and healthy and with those that you love.

Oh, and take lots of pictures!  And please share them!!!

1 comment:

  1. Dangit, woman! Your writing makes me weepy sometimes. :)

    Merry Christmas, Whey!

    Love,
    AB

    ReplyDelete