Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Happy Family Anniversary

Three years ago today, our fractured family came together once again. That is, of course, not the half of it. Back in 1994 Larry and I met and married. Between then and 2002 we had lots of fun, lots of fights, three babies and more moves than we can count. In 2002 Larry and I decided that we were better as friends. We divorced. It was easier in some ways, and harder in so many more. I know that I wanted it to be over. I was ready to move on. In 2004 we moved here to Texas, me to my parents home and later Larry moved to Flower Mound. We had separate lives, most of the time. Well, some of the time we did. I guess in looking back, we were never too far apart, even when we were busy hating each other. We swore that we would remain friends for our children. And we did.

Until one day in May of 2005.

I met someone else. I met him, married him, moved into a home with him and my three children. I found out quickly that I was pregnant. I was happy for a time with him. Things changed quickly. We didn't know how to make it work. We separated within about 6 weeks and divorced by May 2006. That was a dark year for all of us, but a year that would change all of our lives. (That is the very abridged version of a long story.)

Somewhere in that year things changed with me and Larry as well. He stepped in and helped, stayed by my side, helped me with the pregnancy, and never left. He was my friend first but somewhere along the way, things changed. We realized, I realized that life was too short for the battles and broken families. We dated. We apologized for years of broken promises. We decided to try again. And on September 9, 2006 we married again, making our family whole once more. So, we celebrate September 9th as the day our family was reunited. We had added another little person along the way, a child that was the miracle our family needed and has remained so ever since. We have now accepted the challenge of marriage as adults, not as kids with a fuzzy idea of what being an adult and a partner means. We accepted each others good and bad, right and wrong and we are choosing to be happy every day. Some days aren't as good as others, that's life. But I know that I can no longer imagine this life with anyone but Larry. It took some serious humbling to get us here, but here we are.

So to Larry, I love you and thank you for continuing to love me and our family and for the continuous sacrifices you make to take care of us. We miss you!

2 comments: