Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Happy me announcement

So, I am driving to Denton tomorrow to pick up something that will set me on a little journey towards doing something I have said for years that I wished I had done.  Are you ready?  Piano lessons!  PIANO LESSONS!!!  I mean, I am not sure how easy it is to teach this old gal new tricks, but I believe that Miss Marianne Paredes may just be the old gal for the job.  She is incredible.  I played when I was a kid and didn't pursue it.  I remember that teacher as being this wonderful little old lady, though as I am typing this I am thinking that she was likely all of 45 and not old at all.  Time does change perspective doesn't it?  So, after that I wished that I had been more diligent in that effort, but like most things in my life, I let it slip onto the pile of things of withering but once brilliant ideas and goals.  That pile is continuing to get bigger and bigger.  What is on that pile you might ask?  Well, let's see:  I wanted to dance when I was a kid, and would still love to but there is a rod in my back that says otherwise.  I have notebooks full of business ideas and story lines for scripts, literally stacked in dusty storage containers.  One of the businesses was a coffee shop/ bookstore...Barnes and Noble sort of stole my thunder on that one.  The scripts range from simple ideas on paper to full blown character lists and plot lines to page after page of dialogue...not necessarily good, but there.  I wanted to play the guitar.  I remember that Larry bought one for me about ten years ago that I swore I would practice...didn't happen.  Obviously there is the acting thing.  Ah the acting thing.  I have not fully let that go yet, but I suspect that it will be many years before I get to play that dream again.  Oh, I want to be in incredible shape...I mean, Sheryl Crow, rock hard, drop your jaw in sheer envy, shouldn't look that good after 4 kids amazing.  Now, history has shown that I am likely capable of any and all of these little ambitions.  I have just not found the motivation and drive, or as Larry would say, be proactive and diligent enough to make any of it happen.  Why is that?  I don't think that I am exactly lazy...I mean, maybe a little.  I do hate to push to the point that it starts to make me crazy.  I would love your wisdom on this one as I know that many of you have kids and work and have amazing bodies and talents that you readily share with us.  I imagine myself doing all of these things and more, and then things get really fuzzy, as if I am watching someone else doing it...and then I realize that I am watching "American Idol".  Go figure. 

8 comments:

  1. Heather I can't wait to see all the brilliant ideas everyone leaves for you! I find myself looking for the same answers at times! So come on friends of Heather leave your tid-bits of wisdom for all to benefit from! Don't be shy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just had to say, you go girl!! I think it is wonderful that you are starting on your list! Maybe you could pass a little of that motivation on to me. It seems that I have gotten so caught up in helping Ryan fulfill his dreams, that I may not even remeber mine anymore!!! Although, the rock hard "Sheryl Crow" body sounds good to me!! Love ya ~Amber~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im pretty sure As the World Turns is holding auditions in Dallas tomorrow. for some new role, or some soap?! Who knows. Anyway, there ya go. Why dont you just go get some headshots and audition for crap, what's the worst that can happen, they say no!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I got my rock hard, post baby body by... oh wait... I don't have that. Dangit! I'd love to say that I'm working on it but until I get the little one on some sort of predictable schedule, I am at her mercy... which is fun, but doesn't make me skinny. Good thing she's cute...
    You'll be happy to know that it is possible to learn the piano. I took a class at BYU and while I don't remember any of it now (like I continued after I finished the class!) I was rather surprised at what I learned in one semester. Don't expect miracles right away... just gotta stick with it and enjoy feeling like a six-year-old again while you play "hot cross buns". :)
    Guitar: watch the episode of Friends when Pheobe tried to teach Joey. You won't learn guitar, but at least you'll laugh.
    Dancing: first, become an actress and make it big, then you can the surprise "I didn't think she could do that!" character on Dancing With the Stars.
    Those are my solutions. Probably not helpful. I suppose at the end of the day, ya just gotta do it. Mike is great at accomplishing goals... he's a no excuses kind of guy so if he puts something on his agenda to do, he won't rest until he does it that day. That attitude has helped him to consistently read scriptures literally every day since he was 17 (seriously, every day!) and I can't recall the last time he missed a work out. He's got something figured out.
    Long comment... I'm done now. See ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I happen to have a hand-written Whelan original of that coffeehouse business proposal. That's right. :) You should all be jealous. ~A

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot that we still had anything left of those "proposals". Would have been awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot that we still had anything left of those "proposals". Would have been awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Amber needs a blog... no more of this "anonymous" garbage. Come on, Amb... we all know that you have lots of free time on your hands... put it to good use! :)

    ReplyDelete