Monday, July 6, 2009

After many excuses...it's time! (Again)

Like most people I know, I have certain addictions.  Food in the form of cooking big dinners and fast food lunches with a few doughnut breakfasts and sodas all day long are my particular drug.  Why?  I mean, I don't feel great.  I don't look great.   I am tired and forgetful and it's no fun.  I have set out to adjust this issue many, many times.  I have won, to a certain degree, in earlier days.  However, I am most certainly losing the battle right now.  To a certain extent I am losing it by choice.  So, today, July 6, 2009, 39 days to my 36th birthday, possibly 27 days to a move to the other side of the country, I am setting some new goals.  

The first one is to eat clean.  The first step to that is actually cleaning out the various food portals in our home.  Make a plan and stick to it.

The second is to move.  Walk.  Dance with the kids.  Get to the gym.  MOVE HEATHER!

The third is to find motivation every day.  Small things.  Big things.  One ounce, one pound, one motivation after another until I find myself in the middle of a successful run at living a healthy, active life.

I have seen two of my sisters work incredibly hard at this and win.  They both look amazing.  Seeing it in them proves to me that I have it in me to do it as well and that any supposed failure is simply my efforts to avoid the work that I know I must do.  I have seen my neighbor Vicki lose what looks like 5o pounds, she looks incredible.  In all the time that I have watched these ladies win their battle, doughnut and coke in hand, I could have been doing the same.  Now, I didn't and that's ok.  NO BRUTALITY HERE.  There are a fair number of reasons to take better care of myself and my family.  I know them and respect them.  So, with my head held high and the motivation all around me, I am setting out to win every day.  I may not win every day, but I will overcome.  I want to be healthy...and dead sexy like my sisters, but who's counting!!!

2 comments:

  1. Dad and I had the same conversation(#2million ) last night. We are in such a bad pattern due to all the travel etc. that we just grab whatever is easiest, even if we don't even care about it...the delicious steak dinner(best potato ever) made us realize that we need to be better about eating something we enjoy rather than chucking something down that we didn't and then still wanting something else...we decided ,for us, it is all about the planning ...today I bought some peas and greens and squash,my very favorite meal and one of the most healthy...exercise...yikes....obviously,we all care about food, a lot...thanks Mom and Dad....soooo ,we just have to figure out how to be happy with better food ( don't throw away all the ice cream Heather)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, start working out first, then try the healthy eating. If I dont work out, I am more apt to eating junk food. Weekends are the worst for me! You can do it!!! It becomes much less work the more you do it. Although, I am gearing up to run 5 miles and don't want to do it at all! Best of luck, let me know what I can do to help!

    ReplyDelete