Friday, January 7, 2011

Motivation, where art thou?

Allow me to set the scene for you: it's almost 4 in the afternoon, a little cold out, the house is semi-clean...well, the hall bathroom is immaculate after some intense scrubbing today...three of four kids are home.  Oldest should be headed this way soon.  On my desk? to the right of my computer: Doritos and a Coke.  to the left: vitamins and a magazine full of incredibly fit women in cute workout clothing.  While looking at said magazine, I absent-mindedly rummage through the Doritos bag and find myself reaching for the coke.  Now, first line of defense is to not have said treats in the house.  Strike one.  Next would be to say that the treats are best left hiding out in the pantry or fridge. Strike two.  And third might be willpower...Um, yeah.  You get the picture.  The funny thing is that I don't really even like Doritos.  What is wrong with this picture?

It's January 7th and I have not yet set my dreaded resolutions into motion.  I plan to, at some point.  I am such a procrastinator!  But I did scrub that nasty hall bathroom!  Honestly, how does it get so nasty?  I know the answer...kids.  (and lots of them)  Back to procrastination: have you set up any resolutions?  I know there are the obvious like get healthy, lose weight, work out, read scriptures daily (I have been doing that one though).  Why is it so hard to actually do it?  Ok, it's not exactly hard to do, it's just work.  Here is what I want to do...I want to resolve to live a little every day in 2011.  Do something different or new or do some of the old things in new ways...learn...every day.  I think I can honestly say that I have actually done that so far this year.  It made me appreciate the idea and I think it might prove a worthwhile experiment.  Today I decided to scrub the bathroom.  Done.  Going back to old jobs like kitchen, laundry and making dinner.  Going to play with the kids...whatever kids are here and there are lots already...PLAY!

Live a little...every single day.  Can you do that?

Oh and what ARE you people making for dinner these days?  Need some ideas...as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment