Thursday, May 15, 2008

Letter to my body as inspired by BlogHer

In my own time sitting at my computer sifting through blogs one after the other, which is really time I should be doing laundry, I have discovered some pretty amazing blogs with some pretty amazing women.  In one of my searches I stumbled upon, or ran to rather,  A Letter to My Body | BlogHer, which is a part of the universe of BlogHer.  It is fascinating.  Part of me wonders how all of these women have time to write so much and so well.  I feel accomplished with a little post here and there.  So, in the spirit of the women who have all written these amazing letters, here goes:

Dear Heather's Body,

Hmm.  Well?  What to say today.  I feel as if we have been drifting apart for some time.  We have shared some unbelievable times and I think we can still make this work out if we work together.  Counseling?  Sure, that would help.  Working out, you say?  You know how I feel about that, but I guess we could try that as well.  NO SUGAR?!?!?  Oh come on, now.  That seems a little extreme.  Ok, we'll consider that one.  Maybe.

Look, I know that I have never been all that grateful, or helpful, or understanding.  I have pushed you to the edge many times and you have carried me back.  I don't think I was all that aware of you before I was forced to lie on my back for weeks on end after the Surgery.  You knew that we could do it, but wow was I mad at you for that one.  I still feel the reminders of that.  As I am getting "older" I am beginning to feel more of that than I would like actually.  When we suffered that mutilation that left us with a pretty rocking scar, I lost a lot of weight.  I was tired and could not get out of bed on my own.  I couldn't do much on my own, ask Mom.  Scoliosis got the best of us at that young age but we overcame.  You did most of that on your own.  

Entering college I became much more aware of you.  I wanted to be thin.  THIN!!!  I wanted you to know that and make it happen as you had made recovery happen.  I look back at that now and realize that I was thin.  I just didn't realize it.  I suppose my spine wasn't the only thing a little twisted back then.  Oh, who am I kidding, I am still a bit twisted when it comes to you.  

Then came the babies.  I can never really thank you for the enthusiastic welcome you gave each of my children.  I did not struggle to get pregnant, quite the opposite.  I did not find the courage to surrender to the pain though.  You made these creatures that now give me such joy and I never really thanked you.  Instead, I tortured you with one diet after another.  I don't think you could really call it yo yo dieting at this point as I think we have worn that yo yo out by now.  I have starved and cleansed and drugged and pushed and pulled and anything else that I thought would force you to be the Body I wanted.  I am sorry for that.  I have, without doubt, earned every pound and every stretch mark and every wrinkle and scar.  I can't say that there is much that I truly regret in my life, well, a few things come to mind, but I can say that I do wish that you and I were a bit closer.  I wish that we could work this out and get on the same page.  I know that it's not you, it's me.  I am the one who keeps pulling away and being demanding and whiny...high maintenance even.  I see what you mean about counseling.  Well, here we are at mere months away from 35, which is just a short stroll to 40.  I feel a real pressure to make this relationship work sooner than later.  I would not want to harbor negative feelings as we reach the prime of our lives.  

I want to take you on a cruise and to other countries.  I want to be strong.  I have it in my head, but I have not found a way to translate that to action.  In truth, I believe that my efforts are a bit counterproductive.  I wish that weren't so.  I can promise you that I am trying and I will work to a healthy balance.  I will run the tests to check for imbalances and learn a new way to eat and be strong.  I have never wanted to be someone else, or look like someone else.  I only want to be the best version of myself.  It's been sometime since I have seen her.  Let's make a promise to work on that together.

Yours always,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment