Saturday, July 12, 2008

Today...I am tired.

I think that I may have peaked too early this week.  I have had such grand plans to be going to bed this evening in a clean house with all of the laundry washed and put away, with peach cobbler cooling on the stove and the pantry neatly restocked from my grocery trip.  But alas, I have clean laundry neatly folded in baskets on the counter in the kitchen with a full load of clean dishes to unload and a sink of dishes waiting to be reloaded.  I now have all of the necessary ingredients for my homemade peach cobbler but, as of yet, the magic has not been mixed together and baked.  The children are; however, all sleeping.  Not drowned in the big tub as I earlier thought they might be by the end of the day or hung by their toes in the attic.  I am grateful for the "almost there" in my day though.  I can take pride in the work that was accomplished and in the fun that was still had today, which was for all intents and purposes, a work day at home...you know, Saturday chores before Sunday.  

I am feeling a renewed interest in being more on top of the family mechanics; grocery shopping, money, cleaning...parenting.  That sort of thing.  I know that I should always be aware of such things, but sometimes, in the middle of a crowded street with noise coming from all directions, you can forget what you were doing there in the first place.  I think that sometimes I forget as well.  I always know the job of the day, but the goal of the day, or of the week, or of all of it can sometimes get muffled by the loudness of the job at hand.  At the same time, I am keenly aware of doing better for myself.  Of cherishing where we are and what we have and are now.  There are many things ahead, and a great deal behind us...but now, in this quiet moment on a hot Saturday night and the end of a lovely week, I want to appreciate those moments one by one, even though I am admittedly really tired.  Maybe it's all of the appreciation catching up with me...or maybe it was the really frustrating trip to Walmart.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment